What's going on with FLOSS devs these days

Joseph Hall perlhoser at gmail.com
Fri Nov 23 08:12:16 MST 2012

On Fri, Nov 23, 2012 at 6:14 AM, Barry Roberts <blr at robertsr.us> wrote:
> I admit I only read about half the article, but it my impression is of a
> tempest in a teapot.

Well spoken.

On Thu, Nov 22, 2012 at 10:34 PM, Michael Torrie <torriem at gmail.com> wrote:
> just "Linux").  I'm not referring to just Gnome here.  Seems like a lot
> of projects lately have devs who are hell-bent on heading down their own
> path despite what people who actually use their software would think or
> want.  Makes me really sad because Linux still has a lot of potential
> and I've enjoyed using it over the years because it could be made to be
> a useful tool to serve my needs.

Also well spoken. I am currently enjoying working on a project that
cares about platform, only in terms of packaging and platform-specific
issues. We have a number of users pushing towards support on disparate
platforms because they believe in the project, and they want it to
grow.

A number of our users migrated to us from our competitors. Some of
these were rudely denied the ability to submit patches upstream to
their competitor for functionality that was required in their
infrastructure, because "that's not how it works" with said
competitor. These were welcomed with open arms into our community, and
some of them have become key developers for us.

Something that is at odds with the story that Michael posted is the
fact that we have also welcomed patches which allow our software to
interoperate with our competitors. This may seem confusing to some,
but among other things, it helps open migration paths from our
competitors to us. It's kind of like using Wine to let users coming
from the Windows world into the Linux world. If only Microsoft would
help Linux apps run in Windows, maybe they could get some of their
users back.

In their push forward, Gnome seems to be making a concerted effort to
alienate their current user base, which is unfortunate. They forget
that freedom of choice is important to a lot of Linux users, and in
the end, that may kill them.

--
"In order to create, you have to have the willingness, the desire to
be challenged, to be learning." -- Ferran Adria (speaking at Harvard,