What's going on with FLOSS devs these days

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Thu Nov 22 22:34:41 MST 2012

I just read this very interesting (and frustrating) article and wondered
if any of you have read it:
https://igurublog.wordpress.com/2012/11/05/gnome-et-al-rotting-in-threes/ .
 Any thoughts?  While the kernel goes on under Linus' (prudent and often
wise) direction, are things really this bad elsewhere in the FLOSS
world?  Is it just "Linux" projects that act this way?  All this talk by
developers of "brand" is just bizarre. The fact that they have any
usership at all is thanks to other brands (Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian, or
just "Linux").  I'm not referring to just Gnome here.  Seems like a lot
of projects lately have devs who are hell-bent on heading down their own
path despite what people who actually use their software would think or
want.  Makes me really sad because Linux still has a lot of potential
and I've enjoyed using it over the years because it could be made to be
a useful tool to serve my needs.

Anyway.  Maybe I'm just ungrateful.  Back to Metro... (I kid I kid)