Help on a Job Descriptions

Nathan Blackham kemotaha at gmail.com
Thu May 24 01:28:33 MDT 2012

On Wednesday, May 23, 2012, Tod Hansmann <plug.org at todandlorna.com> wrote:

> On 5/23/2012 10:15 PM, S. Dale Morrey wrote:
>> I see nothing wrong with either description.  You may wish to include
more
>> details such as environments and tools used, how much experience you want
>> with each and what the pay range is.  Team size and position in the team.
>> Perks and benefits are good info to have as well.  Also I personally like
>> to know about the company itself such as the name, what they do, how long
>> have they been in business are they publically held or private etc.

Thanks for the ideas.  The company is Amazon.com and my team focus on the
EC2 fleet but has responsibility for other platforms within the company as
well.

What would you expect to see in terms of environment and tools?  Something
like that the OS is RPM based Linux and the virtualization used is Xen.
 Most of the tools are home grown but there are a number of open source
products used.

The team is currently small but is growing.  It used to be part of another
team but has been spun out. There are junior and senior positions of both
disciplines open.  Do I need more here on the team?

>> Location can also be important too.
>> On May 23, 2012 10:00 PM, "Nathan Blackham"<kemotaha at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>
>>> Guys,
>>>
>>> I know I stay mostly quiet on this list, but I need some help.  I
>>> recently took over as manager of a new team responsible qualifying our
>>> OS on new hardware as well as new kernels and OS components on
>>> existing hardware.  The process is currently mostly manual, and the
>>> goals is to automate this testing as much as possible.  In addition to
>>> the qualification, the team owns building out test hardware as well as
>>> deploying the qualified OS to production so that new builds can use
>>> the newly qualified OS.
>>>
>>> I am struggling to create a good job description for the positions
>>> that I have open on the team.  I am hoping that you can help me create
>>> some solid job descriptions that would catch your interest and make
>>> you think about applying.  I have 2 categories of positions: Software
>>> Developers and System Engineers.
>>>
>>> The System Engineers that I am looking for would be the ones to run
>>> the tests, build the test capacity, and deploy out the software.  I
>>> want Engineers who will work hard on scripting the process away so it
>>> is automated and less error prone.
>>>
>>> The Software Developers that I am looking for are ones who want to
>>> build test automation, including automating workflows, testing, and
>>> analyzing results.  Much of the testing is performance testing as
>>> well, so people who are passionate about benchmarks and making sure
>>> that we are testing the right stuff.
>>>
>>> I am happy to share the job descriptions that I currently have but
>>> would love to have ideas from the group about the things that you like
>>> to see in a job description.
>>>
>>> And if any of you are interested, feel free to contact me and I will
>>> be happy to talk to you more about the positions.
>>>
>>> Thanks Guys,
>>> Nathan Blackham
>>>
> One thing I often see neglected that this list in particular brings up a
> lot is location.  If you're in SLC, you want to save people who don't
> like SLC the trouble of having to waste time asking.  From a personal
> standpoint, I like to see details on necessary requirements of
> technology understanding.  Basically, if I need to know virtualization,
> you should say so.  If I need to know VmWare ESX specifically, you
> should say that.  Don't be specific unless it really should be
> specific.  Otherwise, leave specifics in parenthesis as a preferred item
> (SonicWall preferred).  Everything else Dave suggested is awesome as well.

Location is in Seattle, WA. We are paying relocation.

Good thoughts on the Qualifications.  I have had a hard time on narrowing
down some of the qualifications.  We used python mostly but interface with
some java, but I expect a good developer to be able to pick up any
language, so I don't know how much that is a requirement. Am I off base
with that?

I expect a good understanding of how Linux works and good troubleshooting
skills. I want people who care about automation and quality.

Thanks for the suggestions.  They have been great.

Nathan