Dealing with Macs

Alex Esplin alex.esplin at gmail.com
Tue May 22 11:56:21 MDT 2012

On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 9:24 AM, Steve Alligood <steve at betterlinux.com> wrote:
> I used linux for years when my office got me a mac laptop.  It was tempting to dual boot, but there were several issues for what i needed it for, so I ran a VM with linux in it and only used the mac environment for mac stuff.
>
> After two years of VM ware issues (use something different if you use a VM for linux, their system integration kernel modules are always way behind the current kernel), I finally broke down and just installed iTerm2 (not iTerm, different product) and got reasonable terminal behavior and a very short learning curve and I now rarely ever start that VM.
>
> Your mileage may vary, but the tools for the Mac have come a long way over the last few years, and VMs are often a pain in the rear.  A little digging on the Internet and your Mac may actually do what you need.

Obviously my point of view will be biased here, since I work at Apple,
but I definitely agree.

I spend the _vast_ majority of my time in the terminal. I use an
application launcher/spotlight replacement called Alfred to launch
applications, I use keyboard shortcuts for almost everything, and when
I'm working on a single project for long stretches I go literally
hours without having to reach for the mouse.

OS X is actually Unix certified, so it has some behaviors that are
different than the GNU utilities, but if you were so inclined you
could use Fink, MacPorts, or Homebrew to install GNU utilities.

There's a lot of info on the interwebs about how to customize your
working environment, and there are command-line utilities to control
almost every aspect or preference in the OS.

--
Alex Esplin