Dealing with Macs

Doran L. Barton fozz at hypermoo.com
Mon May 21 12:46:21 MDT 2012

On Monday, May 21, 2012 11:00:06 AM Eric Jacobs wrote:
> +2 for iTerm2. I use it all day every day. One of the best features is the
regex trigger stuff. I have one set up to fire a growl notification when I get
mentioned in IRC (i use irssi in a screen on a remote box). You can have it
fire other processes, noises, scripts, alerts, etc, all based on the text
appearing in any of your terminals.

I also have used a MacBook Pro for the last two years as a developer. I would
have preferred Linux (and KDE), but my employer gave me two choices: Windows
or Mac and chose the one that wouldn't blue-screen and gives me a half-decent
command-line.

During that time, I've come to appreciate Mac OS X more than I did before. I
used iTerm2, as others have recommended, and found it to be more than adequate
for my needs. I especially liked the pseudo-sloppy focus option provided by
iTerm2. I still clench my teeth when I think that Apple doesn't make focus
options available in the user preferences. That is, I can only take advantage
of this feature in iTerm2. I have to manually shift focus for all other apps.
In fact, that's pretty much the epitome of my take-away with Mac OS X: It's
*way* too minimalistic for me. There are dozens, if not hundreds, of UI
elements and behaviors I'd like to tweak, but can't, because Apple doesn't
make it available.

The good news is this week is my last week with my current employer and the
MacBook Pro will be going back to them. Next week, I start a new job and my
new employer has already ordered a Thinkpad T520 for me which I can put
whatever Linux distribution on it I choose. Suffice it to say, I'm stoked.

--
Doran L. Barton - Hypermoo Inc. - <fozz at hypermoo.com> - 801-520-9875
Open source consulting, custom development, systems/network administration