Dealing with Macs

Steve Alligood steve at betterlinux.com
Mon May 21 10:24:25 MDT 2012

I used linux for years when my office got me a mac laptop.  It was tempting to dual boot, but there were several issues for what i needed it for, so I ran a VM with linux in it and only used the mac environment for mac stuff.

After two years of VM ware issues (use something different if you use a VM for linux, their system integration kernel modules are always way behind the current kernel), I finally broke down and just installed iTerm2 (not iTerm, different product) and got reasonable terminal behavior and a very short learning curve and I now rarely ever start that VM.

Your mileage may vary, but the tools for the Mac have come a long way over the last few years, and VMs are often a pain in the rear.  A little digging on the Internet and your Mac may actually do what you need.

-Steve