Health problems from cybernetics?

Daniel C. dcrookston at gmail.com
Fri May 18 17:41:26 MDT 2012

On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 5:39 PM, Alan Young <alansyoungiii at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm not offended ... and I don't follow Kurzweil.  Are you making a
> distinction between 'The Singularity' and the concept of a singularity
> of some kind?

If my understanding of a singularity as a change which irrevocably
changes human life on Earth, to the extent that what comes afterward
is not recognizable or even within the realm of conception for someone
who came before, then yes I am making a distinction.  It's arguable
that we've already encountered several of them, starting with fire and
"ending" at the one we're currently experiencing in the form of the
Internet.  I even allow that Kurzweil's AI singularity might actually
happen one day - I just don't follow the religion which worships at
the shrine of Our Lady of the Diodes and Her Prophet Kurzweil, and I
certainly don't believe that such an event would usher in the utopia
that (if I'm hearing him correctly) he thinks it will bring.

Also I just can't bring myself to associate with a group that would
use, with a straight face, the phrase "Earth's electronic systems have
been self-organizing at the speed of light since Faraday's time."  I
don't believe I have encountered a sentence with less meaning since I
left Junior High.

-Dan