Health problems from cybernetics?

Daniel C. dcrookston at gmail.com
Fri May 18 14:22:13 MDT 2012

On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 9:47 AM, Alan Young <alansyoungiii at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm not trolling, I promise.  How is the idea of a singularity religious?

It promises salvation to humanity via a savior who will come "Some Day
Real Soon Now", while offering no evidence that anything they claim is
real.  They use convoluted and mostly meaningless language to lure in
people who lack critical thinking skills, or the insight into the
terms being used to understand that the way they're arranging them is
meaningless.  (Or, people who just really REALLY want to believe that
it's true, despite lack of evidence.)  And they have a prophet, Ray
Kurzweil.  So I view it as a religion that promises salvation via our
own technology rather than a supernatural being.

Apologies if anyone here is a Kurzweilite and takes offense at my
admittedly brusque handling of your beliefs.  It is not my intention
to lump anyone here (or your friends or relatives) in with those
lacking critical thinking skills or insight into technology.  It's all
those faceless, unnamed masses that believe who get put in that
category ;-)

-Dan