Health problems from cybernetics?

Corey Edwards tensai at zmonkey.org
Thu May 17 14:23:26 MDT 2012

On 05/17/2012 02:08 PM, S. Dale Morrey wrote:
> Sometime ago there was a movie about a guy who had his brain upgraded with
> a computer so he could be a courier for sensistive information.  A coworker
> and I were discussing this and it lead to an interesting discussion about
> the future of healthcare where many people have various implants.
> My thinking is that the risk of infection & rejection are pretty high and
> will remain so.  My coworker disagreed and cited some example he had read
> somewhere about a guy who had implanted himself with an rfid capsule.
> I realize this is totally offtopic, but does anyone know about this?  I
> tried googling everything I could think of related to it and found no info.

There are millions of people with pacemakers, artificial hips, pins,
screws, etc. This seems like a solvable problem.

> I mean if this were the case then you would think folks would be implanting
> themselves with all kinds of stuff to make life easier.  For instance, it
> would sure cut down on bitcoin theft if your bitcoin wallet was on a
> microsd card embedded somewhere on your body right?

Right up until somebody decides they want your bitcoins enough to cut it
out of you. Thank you, but no.

A much more interesting question, IMHO, is that of the rights of
embedded computers and the code contained there-in. What if a computer
creates networked vision augments, but requires a monthly subscription?
Is it right for them to turn off your sight if you fail to pay? What if
there are bugs and the company has gone out of business? Do you have an
inalienable right to debug your own body or any additions to it?

Corey