Health problems from cybernetics?

Joseph Hall perlhoser at gmail.com
Thu May 17 14:15:11 MDT 2012

On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 2:08 PM, S. Dale Morrey <sdalemorrey at gmail.com> wrote:
> will remain so.  My coworker disagreed and cited some example he had read
> somewhere about a guy who had implanted himself with an rfid capsule.
> I realize this is totally offtopic, but does anyone know about this?  I
> tried googling everything I could think of related to it and found no info.

IIRC, there have been several articles over the years in Wired about
this gentleman. Last I heard, his body rejected the RFID each time,
and he was only able to keep it for a couple of days before taking it
out again. I don't know if he's gotten any further.

> I mean if this were the case then you would think folks would be implanting
> themselves with all kinds of stuff to make life easier.  For instance, it
> would sure cut down on bitcoin theft if your bitcoin wallet was on a
> microsd card embedded somewhere on your body right?

I heard a rumor once that people are already implanting things to make
it easier for their heart to beat. ^_^

Actually, Scott Adams addresses this in one of his "business" books.
His theory is that when cybernetics become widely available, that
that's what the kids will move onto instead of (or in addition to)
piercings and tattoos. He didn't seem inclined to believe that a whole
lot of people would do anything useful with it.

What I think we should do is embed personal ID chips into our heads,
in case of emergency. And to help identify people who are so wired,
they need barcodes stamped on their foreheads. Or maybe their right
hand, if the forehead is too objectionable. There's no way that could
go wrong.

--
"In order to create, you have to have the willingness, the desire to
be challenged, to be learning." -- Ferran Adria (speaking at Harvard,