What is Non-Copyright?

AJ ONeal coolaj86 at gmail.com
Thu May 17 11:07:05 MDT 2012

My coworker found some code online we want to use for positioning with gps
and magnetic declination data.

It contains no license and was found publicly available on some site of an
organization of the federal government (noa.gov).
Under U.S. law, source code which is written by employees of the federal
government is non-copyright (see wikipedia).

Does anyone know if non-copyright is the same as public domain?
Is it otherwise compatible with open source licenses?
Is it otherwise compatible with commercial licenses?

I'm pretty sure that the government intended it to be used by companies
like us to improve upon and sell it back to them bundled with our product
so I don't see an issue or need to get in touch with our lawyer about it.
I'm just curious.

AJ ONeal