[uug] next cpu for virtualization

Aaron Toponce aaron.toponce at gmail.com
Sat May 12 08:39:03 MDT 2012

On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 03:20:23PM -0600, Daniel Fussell wrote:
> Does anyone have any experience with the new Opterons that can confirm
> if they are DOA performance-wise?  Or does recompiling with special gcc
> flags to optimize the multiply ordering restore AMD's standing for
> threaded server performance?

I have experience with the Intel Westmere Xeons and AMD Shanghai Opterons,
but not with Sandy Bridge and Bulldozer. With that said, I wouldn't
necessarily say that AMD is getting their butt handed to them on a silver
platter. From my experience AMD is very much in the game, performance-wise,
and this article from Phoronix confirms:

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=ubuntu_1204_virt&num=1

From the article:

      Between Intel's Sandy Bridge and AMD's Bulldozer for KVM
      virtualization, the relative performance was generally quite close
      between these competing latest-generation architectures. If looking
      at the harmonic mean of the over three dozen tests that were run, the
      Intel Core i7 3960X was running at 93% the speed of bare metal with
      KVM while the AMD FX-8150 came in at 90% the speed of the bare metal
      Bulldozer. Alternatively, with the geometric mean of all the results,
      the i7-3960X was at 85% the speed of bare metal while the AMD FX-8150
      was at 88%. VirtualBox on the FX-8150 was at 85% while the
      problematic VirtualBox-on-Sandy-E was at 59%. Xen on Sandy-E came in
      at 94%.

They had issues with their ASUS motherboard, so AMD Xen benchmarks weren't
taken.

--
. o .   o . o   . . o   o . .   . o .
. . o   . o o   o . o   . o o   . . o