next cpu for virtualization

Daniel Fussell dfussell at byu.edu
Fri May 11 15:20:23 MDT 2012

It's time for me to update my Xen machines, and I'm out looking for new
hardware.  When I first bought my Xen hosts, AMD was kicking tail and
taking names; the on-board memory controller and hypertransport in
particular was a big bonus in the regard.  Then I shifted my attention
to more pressing system matters, and stopped following the CPU wars.

But now as I compare my options of a Sandy-Bridge Xeon vs a Bulldozer
Opteron, it looks like AMD has had it's butt handed to it on a platter,
at least on benchmarker's windows-based desktops.  I haven't been able
to find anything on the server side though to see if the new dual
integer modules would hold up in server virtualization, as AMD says was
the design goals.  I suspect that AMD's reduction from 3 to 2 ALU's per
thread is going to kill server performance just as it did with the
desktop, though it pains me to say so.

Does anyone have any experience with the new Opterons that can confirm
if they are DOA performance-wise?  Or does recompiling with special gcc
flags to optimize the multiply ordering restore AMD's standing for
threaded server performance?

Grazie,
;-Daniel Fussell