send and receive faxes via email

Corey Edwards tensai at zmonkey.org
Wed May 9 22:41:42 MDT 2012

On 05/09/2012 08:58 PM, Jeff Anderson wrote:
> On Wed, May 09, 2012 at 02:32:59PM -0600, Benjamin Francom wrote:
>> Hylafax can be configured as an email to fax gateway and vice versa.
>>  On May 9, 2012 10:27 AM, "Merrill Oveson" <moveson at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

> I agree that faxing should be abolished, but I've actually had to deal with it
> on more than one occasion.

Could not agree more. If I never saw a fax again it would be too soon.
Unfortunately, as Chris pointed out, faxes have a certain legal standing
that email hasn't caught up to yet. In medical and legal circles, faxes
are a way of life (and it makes me so sad).

> Hylafax is a great way to go. If you have a fax-capable modem that works in
> linux, then you're good to go. You can also use a voip provider if they have
> t.38 modem support.

T.38 is the neatest thing since sliced bread... in theory. Sadly, I've
found too many implementations are incompatible with each other. So if
you go down this route be sure to test it to death (hopefully not your own).

Corey