send and receive faxes via email

Tod Hansmann plug.org at todandlorna.com
Wed May 9 18:59:27 MDT 2012

On 5/9/2012 1:31 PM, Merrill Oveson wrote:
> Question:  What about security?
>
> Faxes are good for credit card information.
>
> Does sending or receiving a fax via email present a security risk?

I'm going to go ahead and disagree here.  How, exactly, does a fax mean
more security than an email for credit card info?  I'm not very paranoid
about my credit card info, but I don't send it over fax OR email, and
prefer to give it over the phone to a verified agent of the company I'm
sending it to.  (I make that sound fancy, but someone I'm reasonably
sure is supposed to be taking my CC info and treating it
appropriately).  If I'm sending it via email or fax, I would presume
it's in the lobby behind the receptionist just waiting for anyone to
come pick it up, including the receptionist.

I'm with Jonathan Duncan, faxes need to die.  Anyone asking for a fax
should be told in the most serious tone possible: "If I can page you
right after it finishes, I will fax you.  If you don't have a pager, you
need to leave its cousin out of our relationship so we can remain
friends in the current century."

I've used efax.com and I think they're pretty pricy for what amounts to
just faxes, but there you have it.

-Tod Hansmann