ATSC Tuner Card Compatibility

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Sun May 6 07:50:12 MDT 2012

On 05/06/2012 12:14 AM, Steve Meyers wrote:
> Forget the tuner card, and get an HDHomerun.  It's dual-tuner ATSC, but
> it's completely separate (it connects via ethernet).  It works
> flawlessly with MythTV.

Second that.  Don't mess with tuner cards and drivers.  HD Homerun is
the only way to go for what you want to do.

I've tried all kinds of computers including the Acer Revo.  I've found
that vdpau, while good and powerful, sometimes doesn't work that well,
so get a computer with enough horsepower to decode full HD video.  And
of course it goes without saying that an nvidia video chipset is your
best bet, whether using the nouveau drivers, or the nvidia drivers.
Intel graphics may be fine though.  As for ATI, I've never had any luck
with ATI or keeping ATI drivers going.  HDMI audio works fairly well on
Linux now with Alsa.