ATSC Tuner Card Compatibility

Joshua Marsh joshua at themarshians.com
Sun May 6 00:42:32 MDT 2012

On Sun, May 6, 2012 at 12:08 AM, S. Dale Morrey <sdalemorrey at gmail.com>wrote:

> Does anyone know of a good commercially available relatively current
> ATSC capable tuner card (dual tuner would be preferred)?

I use the Hauppauge 2250 without issue. The dual tuner works great and was
fairly easy to set up in MythTV. I would highly recommend it. I have a
co-worker that swears by the pchdtv.com cards, but they are quite a bit
more expensive if you want to do two tuners.

> Also does anyone know of a well supported video card with HDMI out?

Just about any video card with HDMI out will work. I've done two different
ATI Radeon HD cards and they both worked flawlessly. The one I'm using
right now is the 5850. Most of the people using MythTV suggest Nvidia, but
I haven't had any problems with my ATI cards.

Side Note: If you are interested in skipping commercials, mythtv does a
pretty good job, but I don't have the jobs delete the commercials, just
mark them. That way I can skip them with a single button but if the
commercial skipping job didn't work it doesn't delete large chunks of my
show (it did this a few times before I set it to only mark the commercials).