Job: Senior Systems & Database Engineer

Bryan Sant bryan.sant at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 15:38:41 MDT 2012

Pluggers, the company I work for is looking for someone with mad Linux
& database skilz.  We're currently a Windows/.NET/SQL Server shop
converting to be a Linux/Java/MySQL (or PostgreSQL if you know how to
make it sing) shop.  Naturally, this is not just a job, but a chance
to help make the world a better place by continuing the overwhelming
trend of displacing Microsoft in the data center with Linux.  We're a
small startup with less than 20 employees, yet we're the largest
hosted voice-over-IP provider in the country (universe?).  Alianza is
very profitable and we're knocking down huge deals (we just recently
signed the largest deal in our industry's history).  We pay with real
money (above market rate) as well as stock options in a startup that's
actually going somewhere.  Our secret agenda is to take over the
world, but we need your help.  Below is the official job opening:

Senior Systems & Database Engineer
Alianza is the leading provider of hosted voice solutions for the
wireless broadband industry. We have helped over 50 of the industry's
leading operators launch the highest quality, most advanced voice
solutions; including the first ever commercial Voice over WiMAX
offering and VoIP over satellite. Interested Engineers must enjoy
being part of a dynamic, high-performance engineering team. The
qualified candidate will have a strong background in Linux, databases
and overall expertise in high-availability systems management.

REQUIRED EXPERIENCE AND EXPERTISE:
• 5+ years Linux systems administration experience (Red Hat and/or CentOS).
• Senior level understanding of the LAMP stack.
• Experience with Java ecosystem helpful: JBoss, Tomcat, Hibernate,
Infinispan, Solr, etc.
• Expertise with database design, configuration and maintenance (MySQL
and/or MS SQL).
• Complex scripting experience required - (perl, python, PHP, etc).
• Lead the design, implementation, and maintenance of complex systems.
• Provide leadership with the installation, configuration, management,
and automation of the Linux infrastructure.
• Experience with virtualization technologies – (Xen, VMWare)
• Experience in maintaining configuration consistency across large
server environments.
• Experience with Chef or Puppet a plus.
• Recommend improvements to facilitate better management and
monitoring of the environment.
• Must assume shared ownership of the Alianza voice platform and to
assist in architecture decisions and implementation of technology that
will provide 99.999% availability.
• Ability to work well with a team, or individually.
• Well rounded communication skills are required.
• Mentor and train other staff in best practices.
• Maintain a healthy work/life balance.

Please reply to me off-list if you're interested.

Thanks,
-Bryan