Survey results

Tod Hansmann plug.org at todandlorna.com
Mon Mar 19 20:20:25 MDT 2012

On 3/19/2012 2:58 PM, Joshua Marsh wrote:
> On Mar 19, 2012 10:17 AM, "Jonathan Duncan"<jonathan at bluesunhosting.com>
> wrote:
>> I am pleased to see that Vim is by far the most preferred text editor.
>   :)  Take that Emacs!
>
> I was surprised by this. I guess I'm a dying breed. I'll have to crack open
> a vim book.

Actually, I'm fairly certain this is mostly because vim is much more Sys
Admin friendly and we have a mix of those heavier in programmer-centric
interests and systems administration-centric interests.  It's a mixed
bag (though still slightly vim heavy from what polls I've seen) in the
programming world, and very one-sided in the admin side.  There's lots
of reasons for that, mostly availability and unified configurations.
For instance, I can't use either vim OR emacs as my programming editor
because I have to jump on various servers using logins I share with
other people, so I can't customize much of the editor to fit my
desires.  emacs isn't on all systems, and vi (some variation) is part of
the standard, so it's on every system everywhere, even if it's not vim
proper.  I don't think that's a reflection for or against emacs.  It
just is what it is.

-Tod Hansmann