XMission seeks Director of Network Operations
pashdown at xmission.com
Mon Mar 19 12:45:47 MDT 2012
XMission Internet seeks a senior network engineer.
* Oversee and manage all network and telecom services: Dial-up, DSL, FTTP,
MOE, Wireless, and Colocation over many different transport mediums.
* Architect, engineer, implement, and maintain networking infrastructure to
handle growth and provide redundancy at multiple levels, on various Cisco
and Juniper routers & switches.
* Perform BGP traffic engineering on border routers to control inbound and
outbound transit from four separate providers and private peering,
utilizing advertised/received communities to optimize latency and provide
* Work with the CFO to both maintain a healthy Network/Telecom budget,
forecasting 6-12 months, as well as research and negotiate carrier contract
* Manage NOC duties and assigned personnel, including active monitoring of
all network services. Immediate customer notification on trouble tickets,
and assist in resolution at all levels (internal and/or carrier escalation).
* Train and mentor techs and junior Admins about XMission's network
architecture and how to support, deploy, and maintain it.
* Deal directly with telecom and fiber carriers for circuit ordering,
provisioning, and repair, including those for customers.
* Utilize netflows on routers, as well as via software fprobes on monitor
sessions to track, graph, and archive traffic utilization on border and
customer aggregation routers.
* Expand physical copper and fiber plant as additional networking devices
and servers are deployed.
* Work with telecom carriers for support and troubleshooting of DS1, DS3,
OC3, GE and ATM / Frame Relay circuit issues.
* Advanced handling of Colocation, Dedicated, and Business level clients,
including assistance in provisioning new routers during circuit turnup.
* Seek out opportunities for peering to reduce latency and cost.
* Coordinate with the product manager towards the development of business
connectivity products and services, focusing on the engineering aspects.
* Generate bandwidth pricing models, updated frequently, to assist in
Colocation and Dedicated sales bids.
* Recommend and assist new or existing clients on how to best utilize their
XMission circuits (Colocation and Dedicated), including router
recommendations, configuration examples, transport diversity, and redundancy.
Required knowledge of:
* Cisco IOS
* JUNOS, JUNOSe
* IPv4/IPv6 stacks
* Fundamental TCP/IP concepts
* Low to high level routing protocols - EIGRP, BGPv4/6, OSPF/v3, RIP
* Traffic engineering via route-map's and policy-statements
* Usage of BGP [communities] & tags and how to apply them internally and
* Firewalling & ACLs
* STP, LACP, dot1q, VRRP
* Linux bridging / enslaving / iptables
* 802.11a,b,g,n wireless aiming and access points
* Ethernet Over Copper Implementation (e.g., Hatteras and Cisco ME-3400)
* MPLS and L3VPN - Seamlessly allows customers to privately connect
regardless of media type (e.g. EOC, DSL, T1, T3, etc.)
Desired knowledge of:
* Perl Programming
* Linux Systems Administration
* Fiber WDM technologies
* Wireshark / tcpdump
* Hands on experience with RJ11/45 crimping, 66/110 blocks.
* Sonet Ring Design - Cisco ONS 15454
Founded in November of 1993 by Pete Ashdown, XMission is Utah's
oldest and largest independent ISP and has one of the largest
diverse carrier networks in the western United States. XMission
is a progressive company which closely involves itself with the
local community and provides free Internet service to hundreds of
More information about the PLUG