How to assign foo.local domains with zeroconf

Levi Pearson levipearson at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 17:52:44 MDT 2012

AJ ONeal <coolaj86 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Everything I've seen with mDNS / zeroconf uses XML over UDP or UDP-HTTP.
>
> But yes, I want an application to be able to add safe domain resolution
> (i.e. .local, not .com) from userspace (without root).
>
> user visits localhost:6080
> user selects 'alias this server as "xyz.local"'
> user can now visit "xyz.local:6080"
>
> I want to vhost local webapps (with a local server)

What you are describing sounds more like UPnP's SSDP than Zeroconf's
mDNS.  I have no idea what you'd use for SSDP in Linux.  I would
probably avoid it.

If you want to do Zeroconf/mDNS, you could try using Avahi.  It seems
to be the most widely-used Zeroconf/mDNS implementation in the Linux
world.  See here for Avahi documentation:
http://www.avahi.org/wiki/Avah4users#Documentation

        --Levi