coax splitter - need signal booster?

Levi Pearson levipearson at gmail.com
Sat Mar 10 21:44:28 MST 2012

On Sat, Mar 10, 2012 at 9:36 PM, Wade Preston Shearer
<wadeshearer.lists at me.com> wrote:
> I have a 100" boom HDTV antenna in my attic. The signal goes down into my basement where I split it four ways to the various rooms in my house. I am in the process of finishing my basement. I will have three more rooms there that will need a signal. I don't currently have any signal issues (length of run, concurrent draw, etc). Will I be fine simply upgrading to an eight-way splitter [1] or would I be smarter to get a splitter with a signal booster [2]? What exactly does a coax signal booster do?

All splitters cause some signal attenuation.  A signal booster just
amplifies the signal a bit to compensate for the attenuation.  If the
signal is fine now, the plain splitter may be fine as well, but either
way I'd make sure the junction point was in a utility box of some sort
that you can still get to after you finish the walls.

        --Levi