Network Traffic Visualization

Daniel C. dcrookston at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 00:21:12 MST 2012

On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 4:28 PM, MT Morales <uugplug at gmail.com> wrote:
> Netflow data (only available on big rourters/switches) is a great way to
> monitor traffic patterns by interface, ip address, application protocol,
> QOS, etc. Most tools out there are proprietary and really expensive. I'm
> not sure if NTOP (free) has gotten any better yet. At my work I use Netflow
> analysis tools to troubleshoot network issues, such as bottlenecks,
> bandwidth hoggers, attacks, etc. on a daily basis.

What tools do you use?  What do you like about them, and (other than
their price) where could they be improved?

I'm putting together everything I've got so far in order to come up
with a few key areas we can focus on for the visualization.  I'll send
it out when it's ready (sometime next week most likely) for feedback.
Right now it looks like the big areas are comparing historic traffic
data (or various types) with current traffic in order to more easily
spot changes.

-Dan