Perl Modules: CPAN vs Yum

Jacob Albretsen jakea at xmission.com
Fri Jun 29 22:10:12 MDT 2012

Hi all,

I'm not a Perl guy, but the devs at my company have asked me to put together
an application server (CentOS 5) for them which runs a Perl application.  In
the past before they hired me as the sysadmin, it was thrown together as
quickly as possible and not documented very well because they needed to get
back to coding.  I'm now wanting to figure it out and document it correctly and
automate the process as much as possible with Kickstart and Salt.

The devs handed me a long list of needed Perl modules.  I've messed with CPAN
before so I've spent two days playing with it again trying to install modules
on some VMs and getting a feel for what I'm up against and finding a headache
or two along the way.  I've also discovered that a good portion of these
modules are available in either the CentOS base repository for EPEL.  However
there are a number I would still need to use CPAN to get installed.

I've noticed that "instmodsh" will only list modules installed by CPAN, but
not by Yum. To get all modules I have to use more elaborate methods.

So the question is.... is it a good practice to mix the two ways to install
Perl modues?  Will I run into issues mixing the two?

Thanks,

- Jake