Setting up chroot for SFTP

Steve Alligood steve at betterlinux.com
Wed Jun 27 16:11:20 MDT 2012

On Jun 27, 2012, at 4:03 PM, James Noble wrote:

> I have a development box that I can test things on and was able to
> uninstall openssh-askpass and everything seems to work just fine.  From
> what I can tell askpass is there so openssh can use it to ask for a pass
> phrase.  This is on a headless machine so I don't think that will cause me
> any problems.  Does anyone know of any issues that may arise from
> uninstalling this?  It is a LAMP system.
>

>> ok, for those of you not liking the seat-of-your-pants method, you can
>> always fix your rpm SPEC file to include the proper provides, etc, and make
>> sure it is called the same thing as the existing package, then a freshen on
>> the rpm should work to satisfy dependencies and at the same time let you
>> have a good upgrade with a proper methodology.
>>
>> If you are running this on a production system that's important, you
>> should probably do proper.  if it is a home hobby box, don't spend the tons
>> of time making it all match up nice.
>>

> This is a production environment so I would rather fix the issue but I am
> not sure how to go about satisfying the dependencies.  Is there something
> out there you are aware of that can point me in the right direction?

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_create_an_RPM_package

Your easiest solution would be to download/install the source RPM for the system's package and then edit it's spec file to use your source tar, removing any patches that won't apply to the new one, etc.  In essence, gratuitously steal their setup, and make it your own.