Setting up chroot for SFTP

Steve Alligood steve at
Wed Jun 27 10:10:55 MDT 2012

On Jun 27, 2012, at 10:08 AM, Steve Alligood wrote:

> On Jun 27, 2012, at 8:10 AM, Nicholas Leippe wrote:
>> On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 7:27 AM, James Noble <noblejames at> wrote:
>>> When I try to install openssh I get the following error.
>>> error: Failed dependencies:
>>> openssh = 4.3p2-82.el5 is needed by (installed)
>>> openssh-askpass-4.3p2-82.el5.i386
>> Try uninstalling openssh-askpass-4.3p2-82.el5.i386 first--that may
>> remove the dependency problem. Or see if there's still a --force
>> option.
> rpm --force may or may not work.  If you are sure that the new package will satisfy the dependancies, you can do an "rpm -e --nodeps OLDPKG" and then install the new one.  Just have to be careful that it doesn't break something important while you are replacing it.

ok, for those of you not liking the seat-of-your-pants method, you can always fix your rpm SPEC file to include the proper provides, etc, and make sure it is called the same thing as the existing package, then a freshen on the rpm should work to satisfy dependencies and at the same time let you have a good upgrade with a proper methodology.

If you are running this on a production system that's important, you should probably do proper.  if it is a home hobby box, don't spend the tons of time making it all match up nice.

Risk assessment is always fun stuff.