UPS expectations

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Tue Jun 26 15:37:43 MDT 2012

On Tue, 26 Jun 2012 13:40:56 -0600
Michael Torrie <torriem at gmail.com> wrote:

> On topic now, I think there is a nice utility called apcupsd that can
> do this.  It also should allow multiple servers connected to a UPS to
> be able to shutdown cleanly in the event of battery exhaustion.

I concur on apcupsd. It should be available for CentOS. It is
available for Debian/Ubuntu. If not, it usually does the
usual ./configure && make && make install dance cleanly.

However, that assumes you use APC UPSs. I have had excellent results
with those. Get USB UPSs; apcupsd will pick them up immediately.