UPS expectations

Kyle Waters unum at unum5.org
Tue Jun 26 12:00:33 MDT 2012

Due to nearby construction we have had a couple of power outages
recently and I've been asked to evaluate our batter backup system(we are
not able to put generators in place currently). I have a few questions
for other regarding there batter back up systems.

What is a reasonable expectation for a rack mountable UPS to continue to
supply power during a power outage?

How much equipment do you generally put on one
UPS(servers,switches,routers)?

Any software you have found that works well with CentOS to shut down the
servers at the appropriate time?

How frequently should UPS be tested? How should they be tested?

How frequently do you replace batteries/UPS' due to failure?

Kyle