build out of a server advice

Levi Pearson levipearson at
Mon Jun 25 10:16:36 MDT 2012

On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 4:18 AM, Grant Shipley <gshipley at> wrote:
> If this is for a home media server, I would suggest an Unraid server. Unraid is basically a customized slackware install that uses a parity drive designed specifically for home media.
> I have been running a 24tb Unraid server for about 4 years. I have had a couple a drive failures over the years an it has worked perfectly.

Along these lines, Unraid, FlexRAID, and SnapRAID are all designed for
this kind of market.  They vary on price and the sort of
'not-quite-standard-RAID' they offer, but they look like a nice option
for a home user with a large set of mostly-static files.  One nice
thing about them is that they generally work with differently-sized
disks and allow you to expand with new disks without much fuss.  And
you can typically continue to access the files on the disks
individually via standard filesystems.

These are definitely not for high-performance or data center use, but
a lot of us do have (or would like to have) a data redundancy solution
to make the inevitable loss of a hard drive in our network shares less