Embedded full-text search

AJ ONeal coolaj86 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 12:57:25 MDT 2012

> > http://ft3.sourceforge.net/
> > http://www.sqlite.org/fts3.html#section_1
> >
> > I don't think this is built-in to the popular sqlite implementations yet.
>
> That's what the cross-compiling toolchain is for. :)

UGH! NEVER! For the love of all that is holy, don't get me started on the
evils of cross-compiling.
Native compile all the way. Waste 45 minutes on compiling and save yourself
weeks of troubleshooting and toolchain problems.

Let's say you were using ruby or python or nodejs or lua. It's not a matter
of compiling the c library, it's a matter of writing the bindings.

> I was a bit baffled that when approaching a full-text search problem,
> the first thing you reached for was a SQL database.  I guess if you've
> got the data in a database anyway as part of a media storage system,
> that makes sense.  This seems like a reasonable solution.

The first thing I reached for was in-memory storage, then rolling my own
file-system-based db with caching, but getting up past 100,000 files
started to be unreasonable to manage.

Then I thought SQLite was best because it's embedded. It will run on
windows. It has low overhead. But the full-text problem is difficult to
solve.

AJ ONeal