Embedded full-text search

Levi Pearson levipearson at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 11:40:53 MDT 2012

On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 10:12 AM, AJ ONeal <coolaj86 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Let's say I want to run full-text searches on 1,000,000 <256 character
> strings on a raspberry pi. What would I use?
>
> On my macbook a LIKE query with sqlite takes about 30 seconds... which is a
> LONG time.

Even with single byte characters, you won't have enough free RAM to
store the strings there.  So, you will have to swap pages to and from
disk, which in the raspberry pi case is an SD card.  You'll probably
want to buy a fast SD card regardless of how you set up your search.

What kind of searches are you going to be running?  Do you just want
to return strings that contain a word?  Are the strings fixed, or will
they change?  What kind of performance are you hoping for?