Viewing the 2012 Olympics

Ken Jordan ken.w.jordan at
Mon Jul 30 10:34:56 MDT 2012

That sounds perfect. Thanks Eric!

-- Ken

On Jul 30, 2012, at 10:31, Eric Jacobs <eric at> wrote:

On Monday, July 30, 2012 at 1:27 AM, Ken Jordan wrote:

> Has anyone found a good web site or other method for viewing the 2012
> olympics without a cable/digital subscription?

I don't have a cable subscription either. Here is what I did:

0. Bought a 512MB Linode VPS in London: $20.
1. ssh -D5080 root at london.vps.ip
2. Added localhost:5080 as a socks proxy on my local machine.
(stupidly easy in os x).
3. Watched three hours of Olympic events on

It's a pretty sweet setup. HD content after it buffers a little. Zero
commercials. Pretty good UI.

Tons of people online said that using a socks proxy wouldn't work on
OS X Mountain Lion… but it's working for me. I toyed with OpenVPN a
little bit, but it was easier just to ssh tunnel.

Eric Jacobs

PLUG:, #utah on
Don't fear the penguin.