Viewing the 2012 Olympics

Eric Jacobs eric at avalanchenine.com
Mon Jul 30 10:31:31 MDT 2012

On Monday, July 30, 2012 at 1:27 AM, Ken Jordan wrote:

> Has anyone found a good web site or other method for viewing the 2012
> olympics without a cable/digital subscription?

I don't have a cable subscription either. Here is what I did:

0. Bought a 512MB Linode VPS in London: $20.
1. ssh -D5080 root at london.vps.ip
2. Added localhost:5080 as a socks proxy on my local machine. (stupidly easy in os x).
3. Watched three hours of Olympic events on http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/2012/live-video

It's a pretty sweet setup. HD content after it buffers a little. Zero commercials. Pretty good UI.

Tons of people online said that using a socks proxy wouldn't work on OS X Mountain Lion… but it's working for me. I toyed with OpenVPN a little bit, but it was easier just to ssh tunnel.

--
Eric Jacobs