Good Idea / Bad Idea - /dev/shm with nosuid, nodev, and noexec

Steve Alligood steve at betterlinux.com
Mon Jul 30 09:13:17 MDT 2012

Personally, I think that's not a good idea.  No telling what it will do performance-wise to /dev/shm, not to mention possibly making it unavailable or borked for kernel things that need it.

You could make your own tmpfs partition and raid it to something ungainly slow (like a traditional spindle drive), but your speed will be that of the spindle drive, unless you do some really non-redundant stuff and then you might as well just be using tmpfs by itself.

Go buy an SSD if you want speed with reboot survivability.  Buy two if you want to mirror them.  In general, it is a Bad Idea to mirror two totally unlike partitions and expect anything sane to come of it (and yes, there are always exceptions)

-Steve