Overstock Software Developer Openings

Steve Alligood steve at betterlinux.com
Mon Jul 23 12:24:22 MDT 2012

On Jul 23, 2012, at 11:09 AM, Grant Shipley wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 12:29 PM, John D Jones III
> <unixgeek1972 at gmail.com>wrote:

> A friend of mine posted something relevant last week:
>
> I have come to realize after 15 years in technology, if people say the hate
> something, they really mean the don't understand it.
>
> --

yet another oversimplification in the tech world.  :)

It is possible to completely understand something and still dislike it.

I have spent sufficient time over several years wanting to like okra (since some of my family quite likes it).  I have researched the best ways to choose it, cook it, etc.  I still don't like it.  I want to like it, but that doesn't change the fact that it is terrible.

Java is the same for me.

I have really wanted to like it.  I have read up on changes to it over the years, and what it does to truly try and not suck, but it still falls short.

I am even bold enough to make the say that I have ever only run one java server side app that wasn't horrific in resource bloat (memory, cpu, etc), and even that app would work better if it had been written in another language.  (really, a jabber server with only 20 clients should not require 2 GB ram).

Java should really die the death it deserves; I would not mourn it's passing.

-Steve