Overstock Software Developer Openings

Joshua Marsh joshua at themarshians.com
Mon Jul 23 11:33:48 MDT 2012

On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 11:18 AM, Nicholas Leippe <nick at leippe.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 11:09 AM, Grant Shipley <gshipley at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > A friend of mine posted something relevant last week:
> >
> > I have come to realize after 15 years in technology, if people say the
> hate
> > something, they really mean the don't understand it.
>
> Or, maybe they finally do.
> Some tools truly deserve some hate--which may not be apparent until
> you understand them on a deeper level.

I have to agree that you can hate a language. Like Levi said, it's personal
preference. Using a language is an important factor, but not the only
factor. The ecosystem around the language also plays a role. I've used Java
for several years at least part time in my work. It's ranged from
high performance SaaS to smartphone applications. While I don't have
anything against the language itself (syntax, VM, GC, etc.), it has a bad
taste in my open-source mouth as I've followed the news over the past year.

Things like that could lead one to "hate" a language. It doesn't mean I'm a
mindless twit and assuming that may be short-sighted. On the other side of
the coin though, it doesn't mean that people who use it are idiots either.
Java certainly has its merits and that's why so many people are using it.
Plus, I recognize that I'm in a minority of people who judge a language
based on it's open-source morals. :)