Seeker - Sr. Linux Admin - Considering move to SLC/Provo

Steve Alligood steve at betterlinux.com
Wed Jul 18 09:39:20 MDT 2012

On Jul 18, 2012, at 7:13 AM, Doran L. Barton wrote:

> On Tuesday, July 17, 2012 11:19:05 PM Alan Evans wrote:
>> My wife and I are considering moving to the SLC/Provo area but are
>> first investigating the job market.  An acquaintance of mine that
>> lives in the area suggested that I send a message to the PLUG list.
>> Per the 'seeker' clause from the website here I am.
>
> http://www.bluehost.com/careers/SysAdminJobs/sysadminjob.html

I would second that, Bluehost pays admins based on what their skills are worth to the company, and are definitely competitive on a national scale.  The head of their admin team will also deal straight with you, up to and including telling you exactly what he thinks about your skills.  He will be polite, but if you push him he will tell you as he sees it.

Quite refreshing in the industry.

When I worked there, I was involved in quite a few interviews for admins.  They do probe quite a bit about your actual technical skills, and were fairly accurate at assessing linux and admin skill levels, without playing all those games and tricks many companies get into during interviews. (Who really cares what kind of tree I would be?)

It's a busy shop, and you will definitely keep busy.  They have decent benefits, and you will definitely learn more about linux, as they are always digging under the hood to make things better.

-Steve