Perl Modules: CPAN vs Yum

Doran L. Barton fozz at hypermoo.com
Thu Jul 5 07:18:19 MDT 2012

On Wednesday, July 04, 2012 04:23:23 PM Jacob Albretsen wrote:
> This is my goal.  To be able to use EPEL packages with packages I rolled on
> my own in an internal repository, and then be able to put a box together
> quickly when needed.  After over 2 days of testing, I've found CentOS 5 is
> not (easily) the answer to this.  The core modules that come with it are so
> dated that even the oldest versions of modules I need have dependency
> version issues.  I've started to give CentOS 6 a go, which is where I am
> starting to push our servers to at this point anyway, so I may accomplish
> two things in the end.

I've been playing with Software Collections (SCL) at work. When I'm a little
further along, I'll be happy to share my knowledge with the group either on
the list or as a presentation. Basically, software collections allow you to
install a whole other set of RPMs on a Fedora/RHEL/CentOS system even if they
might ordinarily conflict with  packages that come installed by default on the
system. It's a great way to, say, install Perl 5.14 and related CPAN modules
on a CentOS 6 system that only has Perl 5.10 by default.

--
Doran L. Barton <fozz at hypermoo.com> - Linux, Perl, Web, good fun, and more!
 "Not to be used for the other use."