Perl Modules: CPAN vs Yum

Jacob Albretsen jakea at xmission.com
Wed Jul 4 16:23:23 MDT 2012

wrote:

> Running your own internal repository isn't that difficult and can save
> you tons of energy later.

This is my goal.  To be able to use EPEL packages with packages I rolled on my
own in an internal repository, and then be able to put a box together quickly
when needed.  After over 2 days of testing, I've found CentOS 5 is not
(easily) the answer to this.  The core modules that come with it are so dated
that even the oldest versions of modules I need have dependency version
issues.  I've started to give CentOS 6 a go, which is where I am starting to
push our servers to at this point anyway, so I may accomplish two things in
the end.