Perl Modules: CPAN vs Yum

Tod Hansmann plug.org at todandlorna.com
Tue Jul 3 20:23:26 MDT 2012

On 7/3/2012 6:15 PM, Steve Meyers wrote:
> On 7/3/12 6:05 PM, Stuart Jansen wrote:
>> On Tue, 2012-07-03 at 11:14 -0600, Tod Hansmann wrote:
>>> Why don't the devs just include any libraries they want inside the app
>>> they want you to deploy.
>> And here we have a perfect illustration of why sysadmins hate
>> developers.
> And vice versa. :)
>
> As a sysadmin, I try to make clear with the devs that my job is to help
> them do their job better, but I need their cooperation to do my job
> better as well.  I explain the constraints and concerns we have in
> sysadmin land, and try to work out the best compromises.  In some cases,
> that has meant bundling libraries, but in a more controlled manner.
I do both roles at my current job.  I tend to just pick the route which
will require the least amount of work within a reasonable amount of
security.

I imagine having to deal with the political struggles amounts to a lot
less getting things done, and a lot more "this isn't my job."  I don't
particularly care for that, but I understand others have to deal with it
anyway.  So, your mileage may vary, and everyone will have a different
line drawn somewhere, but both ends of the spectrum are important to
understand, I think.

-Tod Hansmann