Perl Modules: CPAN vs Yum

Alan Young alansyoungiii at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 17:30:31 MDT 2012

On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 4:57 PM, Tod Hansmann <plug.org at todandlorna.com> wrote:
> As for forking, that's not a bundling problem, that's a poor development
> team problem.  With perl and their ilk especially, you don't have to
> fork to extend functionality of a module.  If the dev team wants to fork
> someone else's code, they are literally asking for more work.

Sometimes it's not the dev teams choice ... draconian limits on
installation of new and updated libraries have forced my hand in
several jobs.  I could either spend the time to reinvent the wheel and
redevelop a library I needed, or I could download the necessary code
and include it in my internal distribution.  Either way, I'm forced to
fork a project.
--
Alan Young