Perl Modules: CPAN vs Yum

Lonnie Olson lists at kittypee.com
Tue Jul 3 09:53:59 MDT 2012

On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 10:10 PM, Jacob Albretsen <jakea at xmission.com> wrote:
> So the question is.... is it a good practice to mix the two ways to install
> Perl modues?  Will I run into issues mixing the two?

Technically, mixing both install methods doesn't cause problems, per
say, just adds configuration complexity.

I'm not a Perl guy, i'm a sysadmin guy.  I hate CPAN installed modules
on production servers.  It complicates replicating the configuration
on replacement/additional servers.  Everything should be in a package
and in a repository.
Running your own internal repository isn't that difficult and can save
you tons of energy later.

My general personal rule is that all software on a machine should come
from a package in a repository (including private repos).  Only
exceptions should be internal custom software that comes as part of a
(semi-)automated deployment system.

--lonnie