Perl Modules: CPAN vs Yum

Jacob Albretsen jakea at xmission.com
Mon Jul 2 11:40:39 MDT 2012

On Friday, June 29, 2012 10:43:36 PM Doran L. Barton wrote:

Thanks for the insight, I was able to build a lot of modules I needed.

> So, what's the best way to build and install CPAN modules that aren't in
> standard repositories for CentOS? My preference is using 'cpanspec'. This
> will fetch the CPAN tarball for a module and build a .spec file for you.
> 80-90% of the time, you can build RPM packages without altering this spec
> file. Occasionally, you'll need to add items to the %files section like
> when a module includes files in /usr/bin or in /usr/man/man1 (as opposed to
> /usr/man/man3).

What if it complains about man3?

ile /usr/share/man/man3/Math::BigFloat.3pm.gz from install of perl-Math-
BigInt-1.997-1.noarch conflicts with file from package perl-5.8.8-38.el5.x86_64
        file /usr/share/man/man3/Math::BigInt.3pm.gz from install of perl-Math-
BigInt-1.997-1.noarch conflicts with file from package perl-5.8.8-38.el5.x86_64
        file /usr/share/man/man3/Math::BigInt::Calc.3pm.gz from install of
perl-Math-BigInt-1.997-1.noarch conflicts with file from package
perl-5.8.8-38.el5.x86_64
        file /usr/share/man/man3/Math::BigInt::CalcEmu.3pm.gz from install of
perl-Math-BigInt-1.997-1.noarch conflicts with file from package
perl-5.8.8-38.el5.x86_64

My reason for updating Math::BigInt is because Math::BigInt::FastCalc
complains about the version and fails bunches of test.  Although, if I
understand right, Math::BigInt is part of the core modules, and my spidy sense
tells me messing with those might cause more problems than it solves.