Jacked network bridges

Gabriel Gunderson gabe at gundy.org
Sun Jan 29 00:26:31 MST 2012

On Sat, Jan 28, 2012 at 11:03 PM, Tod Hansmann <plug.org at todandlorna.com> wrote:
> I'm guessing this has to do with VLAN tagging, and I'm not entirely sure
> how all that works in virtual hosts let alone kvm/libvirt which I've
> never used thus far.  The VLAN tagging could be working on Set X
> specifically because it has the 3rd interface.  I don't know what that
> 3rd interface translates into on the wire, and on which of the 3 host's
> wires, but it's probably more telling than you're giving it credit for.

I don't know... when pinging from a virt guest that works to another
that doesn't, the packets shouldn't even hit the switch. Everything is
untagged until then. More ascii flowcharting follows:

virt-guest-x NIC => virt-host NIC => bridge-x => virt-host NIC virt-guest-x NIC

So, no CAT5, VLAN or switch in that case. Just the bridge and virtual
interfaces.

> Sorry I don't have more specific ideas on this.  I'm kind of hoping a
> sounding board effect will be beneficial for you here, as your situation
> is very specific.  Call me if you want to keep bouncing ideas back and
> forth.

You're kind to offer; if it gets bad, I just might :)

Best,
Gabe