linux diagnostic utility

John D Jones III unixgeek1972 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 09:27:43 MST 2012

On 01/25/2012 03:43 PM, Make Compile wrote:
> ei guys,
>
> any idea or simply do have any known application or utilities in diagnosing problem on my linux box aside from looking on /var/log entry. or can anyone can give good tool/utilities to monitor linux performance. thanks

I like htop for many things, it's like top on steroids. it's colorized,
you can strace, lsof processes, view all processes as a thread tree, and
strace each thread, etc. it's very helpful when trying to hunt down
those pesky processes that go zombie and leave little reason why. other
kinds of monitoring, usually will involve tail -f the appropriate log
file to determine what's going on.

--
John D Jones III
Perl/Javascript Zealot