linux diagnostic utility

Nicholas Leippe nick at leippe.com
Wed Jan 25 16:23:19 MST 2012

On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 3:43 PM, Make Compile <makecompile at yahoo.com> wrote:
> ei guys,
>
> any idea or simply do have any known application or utilities in diagnosing problem on my linux box aside from looking on /var/log entry. or can anyone can give good tool/utilities to monitor linux performance. thanks

Can you be any more specific?

top/htop/atop will show memory/cpu usage
atop/iostat/dstat will show block io
netstat/ntop/iftop will show network io
there tools for inspecting the ip conntrack tables
lm_sensors can show the thermal temps, voltages, and fan speeds

there are various benchmarking tools
there are tools for diagnosing specific applications such as apachetop
for apache, mytop for mysql
there are tools for managing shared libraries, linking, versions, etc.

and many other possibilities. It all depends on what it is exactly
that you want.