Soft Phones

Gabriel Gunderson gabe at gundy.org
Tue Jan 24 12:00:39 MST 2012

On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 11:05 AM, Kyle Waters <unum at unum5.org> wrote:
> We're looking at soft phones for a call center setting,  I'd
> appreciate any information about recent experiences with running soft
> phones,information about phones that can run on both Linux and Windows
> would be greatly appreciated.

There is an amazing void in the softphone space. Nearly everything out
there is junk.  I have however come upon Blink and it looks pretty
darn promising. I've used it once or twice in the past, but I can't
really remember my thoughts.  They really seem to really focus on
features, I think the free version is open source, it's written in
Python and GTK based (I think).

Check them out here and let us know what you think:
http://icanblink.com/index.phtml

I wrote a little script to install on Ubuntu when I thought I'd have
time to mess with it. Here you are:
#!/bin/bash

KEY_URL="ag-projects.com"
KEY_NAME="agp-debian-gpg.key"
UBUNTU_VERSION="oneiric"
LIST_NAME="${KEY_URL}.list"

wget http://${KEY_URL}/${KEY_NAME}
sudo apt-key add ${KEY_NAME}

rm ${KEY_NAME}

cat << EOF > ${LIST_NAME}
## Sources for AG Projects (makers of Blink).
deb http://${KEY_URL}/ubuntu ${UBUNTU_VERSION} main
EOF

sudo chown root.root ${LIST_NAME}
sudo chmod 644 ${LIST_NAME}
sudo mv ${LIST_NAME} /etc/apt/sources.list.d/
echo "Updating packages... this might take a while."
sudo apt-get -qq update
echo "Installing Blink."
sudo apt-get -y install blink