February meeting - topic to be determined

Grant Shipley gshipley at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 07:30:51 MST 2012

Depending on the dates, I might be able to fly out and give a presentation
on the internals of Red Hat's OpenShift.  Below is a quick abstract from
the talk I am giving at Fosdem in a few weeks.  I could also give a
presentation on mobile application development using MongoDB as your remote
datastore.

ABSTRACT

You're using IaaS to build a large scale, multitenant, hosted service. At
the end of the day, you're hosting other people's code in some form.

Your environment needs to be dynamic to properly utilize IaaS capabilities
and meet user expectations. You need it to stay secure and controlled. Your
users need to stay isolated from each other without feeling restricted. You
need to control orchestration, workload management and security. You need
to orchestrate to respond to changes in scale or failures at the IaaS
level. You need workload management to control the resources a single user
can consume and how contention is managed. Lastly, you need users to have
access to as much as possible so they feel in control without risking your
control of the overall system.

Come to this meetup to see how OpenShift uses MCollective for
orchestration, SELinux for segmentation, Linux Control Groups for workload
management and some core operational fundamentals applied to cloud
architectures to tackle this challenge.