Servers on the quick

Daniel Fussell dfussell at byu.edu
Fri Jan 20 15:09:14 MST 2012

On 01/20/2012 02:18 PM, Nicholas Leippe wrote:

> I have had decent luck with penguin computers in the past.
> I have never successfully ordered an HP server--all the resellers I've
> attempted to use simply wasted my time--I'd spend 1/2 hour on the
> phone detailing the specs I needed, only to have them email me a quote
> ten minutes later that contained nothing remotely like what we had
> just discussed...

I don't have any problem getting HP servers, but I'm usually buying
blades in quantity and I'm sure that helps keep their attention.

I share an office with a coworker with the same first name as me, and
that did confuse one HP reseller when we were both asking for quotes on
different things at the same time.  We ended up with each other's
quotes.  Other than that, we I haven't had a problem.

Come to think of it, my department has a lot of problems related to
similar names.  I had an hard drive replacement coming for one of my
arrays.  It was shipped to my boss, but there are 3 people here with the
exact same name; we'll call him John Doe.  Our Shipping/Receiving people
got confused and sent the disk to a John Doe in the carpenter shop, and
it took a couple days to finally track the disk down.

Grazie,
;-Daniel Fussell