Geo redundant OSS database

Jon Jensen jon at endpoint.com
Fri Jan 20 09:20:55 MST 2012

On Thu, 19 Jan 2012, Bryan Sant wrote:

> Has anyone had any experience working with PostgreSQL or MySQL in a geo
> redundant configuration (replication/clustering)?  I see that MySQL has
> MySQL Cluster (http://www.mysql.com/products/cluster/)--which is their
> "Carrier Grade" offering.  Looks compelling.  I know that PostgreSQL (>=
> version 9) has clustering as well, but I'm not sure how feature complete
> it is.  I'm interested in any insights you might have.

PostgreSQL 9 has solid master/slave replication. It's "feature complete"
for the features I've seen people need for master/slave.

If you need to use older PostgreSQL 9 there are several add-ons that will
do that too, including Slony and Bucardo.

Bucardo (which one of my co-workers wrote) supports master/master
replication too, which we've used to span datacenters:

http://bucardo.org/

I haven't used MySQL's replication myself in the last couple of years, but
it was terribly buggy last time I did, and by contrast PostgreSQL has
always been very reliable.

Jon

--
Jon Jensen